Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Desperate Housewife


I'm worried I'm a housewife.

What is it about the word 'housewife' that sends negative tingles down the hairs on my back? Hairy back - that's pretty worrisome too.

I heard someone define it as a "middle-aged woman who sits at home using Facebook to track old boyfriends while letting the TV babysit the kids". Charm itself.

It is such a dowdy word that conjures such dreary images. There are desperate housewives married to mad men but there's not a lot to make you feel good about the decision to stay home (to raise the children mind you, not marry the house). I'm not very good at cooking or cleaning either so it's very hard to live up to the homely stereotype. It does make me feel invisible at times too, I'm not even sure what my job title should be!

Thank goodness I'm following in the hush puppie clad feet of my Mother.

I think my Mum is a magnificent person and really, I can't think of anything better than to live a life that mildly resembles hers (unless I can do it with Samantha Stevens skills).

Perhaps it's a job that needs a different name.

2 comments: